Sunday, March 23, 2014

Almost 2 Weeks in and Still Going Strong!

Kumusta po kayo?!
How's life back in America where there are warm showers, people not peeing in the streets, no bug bites, no piles of garbage lining the roads, no fun street food, carpet on the floors, and no purified water? I feel so bad for all of you who are living that lifestyle, because life in the Philippines is the BEST! I did not think I would get so attached to the lifestyle here so quickly, but I have and it is great! Everything about it is awesome- the people, the food, the scenery, the hustle and bustle, just everything! It has been a great experience so far, and I am only a week and a half in! I can't wait for more to come!
Well to answer the question that everyone has been asking about... No more robbers!! Wahooo!! We got bars on our windows last Tuesday and now we can sleep in our apartment! And the best part is that I don't have to sleep on that little couch anymore and I can stretch out my legs when I sleep. HOLLA!! We were so blessed that our landlords live right next door and they were so willingly to fix the problem in such a timely manner. I could not be happier! Also, to address another question: I have yet to eat Balut yet! I haven't had an opportunity yet.. Well I guess I could buy one if I really wanted to, but I think I will wait until someone else wants to try it with me. I am so excited though!!
So we kind of have 3 new investigators! We had met a young woman named Cindy the other day on our way to an appointment and began to talk to her. We scheduled a time to come back and teach her, so last Wednesday we did just that. To our surprise, 2 of her friends joined in on the lesson- Rem and Jinky. They are all "Born Agains" and have a very strong belief and understanding of the Bible. Jinky seemed really interested in our message, and I know she felt the Spirit. Her answers were so sincere and I know she has a desire to know the truth. We are so excited to help her see how the Bible testifies of the restoration of the Church and how the Church of Jesus Christ is the exact gospel with the same authority that Christ established. I have very high hopes for her and I know how much this message can change her life. Cindy, on the other hand, did not seem as interested and asked a lot of questions about our lives back in America.. and Rem invited us to come to his church.. It was pretty great! We are supposed to teach them again tonight and I pray it goes well!
We just started teaching Andy and Meliza. They are a young couple with two cute little kids. Last night was our first real lesson with them and they are great! They had been taught previously by the Elders a while ago, and so they know quite a bit. Andy was especially interested in our lesson and I really think that they will be baptized. We are also teaching the Morales Family- Alejo and his son Angelo. We invited them to be baptized and they were super hesitant. Sis Judd and her previous companion had been teaching them for a while before I came, and had extended the invitation to be baptized multiple times. They don't seem to be progressing and I hope that they take our message more seriously. It is so sad to know how much the gospel can help these people, and they choose to reject it. Maybe right now is just not their time.
We teach so many less actives here- like SO MANY.. It is ridiculous! I swear, 95% of the ward is inactive. They are all such wonderful people and they have so much potential, however, they don't like to make commitments. We invited so many people to church yesterday, however, we only got one investigator there and one less active. I'm really happy that they had enough faith to come. I just wish I could do more to help the wonderful people here keep their commitments. It sure would be amazing!
The language... the gift of tongues is real! I am feeling it every single day! I am still SOOO far from being fluent or even comfortable with the language, but everyday gets better and better. I still get intimidated sometimes to talk, but I know I won't improve if I don't open my mouth, so that is what I have been doing, although I don't understand 85% of what the people say! OH and to top things off, I have the opportunity to speak in church on Sunday.. AHHHHH.. PLEASE PRAY FOR ME!! Hahahahaha, it is all good! I am only about 2 weeks in and I am still going strong!! I can do it!! Haha

NAKAKATAWA
The other day we were teaching Sister Judy Ann, the young woman with two little kids. There were five of us crammed in a little 5x5 area as we taught her, and I sat on the floor with my knees up to my chin. As we were teaching her, I felt something jump onto my leg. I looked down and saw a mouse running right under my skirt.. It was so funny! I don't know why I wasn't scared, because if I was at home, I would have been freaking out here! I guess I'm just totally immersing myself in the culture here, and mice are the least of my worries!!
OH and I have only been called fat once so far and it was from a little 4 year old running through the streets! People have been warning me though that I am going to get really fat here from eating rice all the time.. Great... Hopefully with all the walking I do everyday, that won't be a problem!! Oh and everyone keeps telling me they want my skin and my hair and my eyes. This one girl couldn't believe that blue was my real eye color so she made me rub them to show her that they weren't contacts or anything! Oh and so many random people just walking by tell me that they want my nose... my nose... really?? Haha I just love the people here!!
Well things here are awesome! Thanks so much for all of your love, support, and prayers. I have felt them more than you can imagine. I know that this is where I am supposed to be and that there are many things here that the Lord needs me to do. I know without a doubt in my mind that this church is true- there is no way it couldn't be. Everything about it absolutely perfect and the happiness that comes through the gospel of Jesus Christ is unimaginable. I am so blessed to have this opportunity to serve here in the Philippines. It is definitely hard and every day comes with a million emotions, but at the end of the day, I know why I am here. I am so grateful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ and how through Him we can find peace, comfort, solace, and pure happiness. I know that Heavenly Father is aware of all of His children and is yearning to bless us. His arms are always open, we just need to come to Him. Thanks to all of you for your amazing examples, especially my family. I don't know what I would do without you! Keep being amazing!!
Kita Kits sa Lunes!
Mahal Kita!
Sister Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment